Monday, February 25, 2008

4 surprises to start week 4

It's been awhile since I've blogged, and there were a lot of surprises that I should have been blogging about ... good and bad, big and small... so I start out with an apology for not being better this weekend.

Surprise 1: I'm still sick. I think that the theme of my Lent this year is sickness. I've literally been sick for a little over three weeks, and I went back to the doctor on Friday and not only did my sinus infection not get better at all, it turned into the beginnings of bronchitus and and an ear infection. I can't wait until God surprises me with hearing in my right ear... it's been weeks! I guess God is trying to tell me something, like, um, I don't know... SLOW DOWN. So I tried to do just that this weekend. Except I cleaned the house on Saturday, and made dinner for four, and hosted a small gathering on Sunday night. I am NOT good at this whole taking it easy thing.

Surprise 2: Mark. Some of you students might know him as uncle mark. He's one of my husband's best friends, and he was visiting this weekend. I hope that when he moves back, some of you get the chance to meet him. He is one of the most thoughtful and kind and wonderful people I know and I always feel lucky to have been in his presence, even if it's only for a day or two. He lives in WI, serving at a Boy's Ranch ... a last resort rehab center for rough and tumble guys before they go to jail or juvie. It's a rough mission and he's about ready to take a break and I think he is going to move back to MN!! Lucky for me and Sam, we have this house that is all empty and now mark can help us fill it!! YEY.

Surprise 3: Bruce, Matt and Laura. I got an email Saturday morning letting me know that Laura Jaeger (wife of Bruce, mom of 9th grader Matthew) died after a long struggle with illness. This surprise was a little tougher to take - and I am struggling with how to comfort yet another student who has lost a parent this year. It never seems good, right or fair to see a student grieve the loss of a parent who died too soon, and too young, and this time is no different. I trust that God is present for the Jaegers, but I pray that God will surprise them with an abundance of grace, comfort and love in the days and weeks and months to come. Please keep them all in your prayers.

Surprise 4. Lespers. My husband and his friends have done their version of "vespers" (a big time worship done at Bethel College on Sunday nights) for a long time... they have less people, less instruments, etc, so they call it "lespers." Most of this crew has long since moved away to WI or other places, and it's been tougher to bring them all back together, but last night was a start. People arrived late, from all over (even hours away) and we lit candles and pulled out shakers and four guitars and ten voices and worshipped together for almost two hours. It was exactly what I needed after being sick so long, and always being a part of the planning for worship... it's tough when you lead worship, so much of your worship is caught up in making sure others can worship... it was much needed to just sit and sing, rock out the egg shaker, and praise our amazing and wonderful God of constant surprises.

With eyes open,
Natalia

No comments: