Saturday, March 1, 2008

Day 24 (Catching up on 10 days)

I’m back…it has been a full 10 days. When we left I managed to take a “good” Minnesota Cold with me which still lingers in the back of my head…cough…hack…when will it end? It is the "gift" that keeps on giving.

Lois and I spent a few days away as a couple that were fun and refueling for our relationship. We spent it with friends, which is a double whammy for us “relational junkies”. I was surprised by how much I missed Lois when she left after a couple days. When we see each other everyday we tend to take each other for granted but when away... I “see” better…if you know what I mean. It must be a bit like the way a spouse feels when the love of their life dies. There is an emptiness and loneliness that enters your life that wasn’t there before…for me I can come home to Lois but for the one who has experienced the loss of that special someone I think I might have caught a glimpse of their lonely place…grieving place. God is always teaching or shaping me even when I don’t want to be taught and shaped…

I spent the past week being taught and "caught" again. I love to learn. I love to be caught by God’s presence and power through speakers, singers, old friends and new acquaintances as we lived out a week together. Two friends were at the conference that I had not expected to see which surprised me. Tom is a pastor in Iowa that I had the privilege of preaching at his ordination some years ago. The other, “Flip”, is a long time friend and pastor who is wired to “go…go…go!!!” His energy is contagious (…so was I…hack!! I thought I would leave my cold at the conference but….) We worshiped together, took classes together…shared our family stories. It was a special surprise that was encouraging. We needed each other. We forget about the many times we hear the “negatives of life”. These are special times to share the joys and sorrows that have made us who we are…not something extra ordinary but ordinary men, husbands, fathers and pastors who are doing life together even for a short few days. I think God loves to put these serendipitous moments in our lives as “food for the journey” ahead.

Coming home I met an elderly couple from Minneapolis. They were returning after 3 weeks away and wondered if it (the weather) had improved. We were delayed for over an hour due to weather in Minneapolis…they had their answer. We could have been irritated about the delay…I admit that I was a little anxious…I wanted to get home...but they just laughed and smiled as if this was extra time to enjoy each other and those around them. I wish I was more like them, God... I coughed a bit more and relaxed as we hit the tarmac at 1:05 am in the morning…got to bed at 2:30 am…cough…hack…cough…oh well. As I laid in bed trying to get to sleep the events of the week and the “challenges” of the days ahead crept in…the more I tried to sleep, the more my mind spun. Surprise me, God...give me rest! Finally sleep.

Surprise…an extra day in the year…Leap Day!

See you in church…
(cough…hack…I hope not!)
Pastor T

No comments: