Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Missed opportunities

It's a surprise that this is my first ever blog.
It's not a surprise that I have procrastinated and waited 2 weeks.
It's a surprise that I run my life so much for my own agenda and schedule that I'm missing opportunities. But why should I be surprised, this is normal for me.
Earlier this week at work, I took my usual mid day walk up and down the halls of our large campus. I saw a woman leaving our building very slowly and in obvious pain. She was carrying a large and heavy back pack. So did I offer to help her? No. Why? Well I was too busy walking, and talking on my cell phone of course! C'mon, I'm a busy person, right? Too busy? Does that sound familiar? Disconnected from the world around us with our electronics, does that sound familiar? I went on my way and then realized what an opportunity that I had just missed. An opportunity for a small act of kindness, set before me by God. A "hello, can I help you?" or "Here, let me carry that for you, it looks like you could use a little help." Perhaps followed by a "God Bless you and have a great day!" But no, I had to finish my walk & my cell phone conversation. Selfish? You, bet. I'm the Pharisee and the Levite that passed by on the other side of the road. We can't physically see God, right? Wrong! Jesus tells us that we see him, whenever we feed the hungry or help the poor. Or help our fellow human beings and all of God's creation in any way. Maybe just a kind word will change somebody's day. Missed opportunities. Wow. Thank you, Jesus for the wake up call.
Jeff

No comments: