Sunday, March 2, 2008

Like everyone else who uses this blog, I too have been waking up each morning and praying "Surprise me, God". And also like the other bloggers, I have been answered by little things. Like today for example, I pulled into the parking lot of Super Target ready for a seven hour shift and realized I didn't have a quarter for the portable lockers to secure my valuables in for the day. This sounds strange, but I prayed "Surprise me, God" and, lo and behold, I found a stray quarter sitting inside the first locker I opened. Or a couple weeks ago when I was having an especially rough week, a very special friend of mine gave me a CD that they burned for me just because they were thinking about me.

I feel a bit shallow for not accepting these surprises as legitimate, but I supposed (again, like everyone else) that a bigger surprise was heading my way. There are plenty of other events in my life that could use surprising, yet God has chosen the little, somewhat insignificant details to make special. As a high school senior who is worried about financing a college education next year, I have REALLY been praying "Surprise me, God (with some extra scholarship money so I can go to St. Olaf)". Yet, I'm not sitting here writing this after receiving thousands of dollars towards my higher education; today I found a quarter- that's 1/4 of a dollar- and I have to say it made my day.

I suppose my biggest revelation over the last couple of weeks is that we can't sit around guessing what our surprise will be. After all, doesn't that take the fun out of the surprise? Like Pastor Luke preached about a few Wednesdays ago, God WANTS to surprise us. Personally, I think he likes to see the expressions on our faces and the turning of our hearts toward Him when we truly receive a gift that we were not expecting. :)

That's about it for my deep thinking. Time to write the rest of that English paper!

Kayla Gronli

No comments: