Saturday, February 9, 2008

From Tom Heinrich, Sat Feb 9, 2008

Well, I've been doing good with my Surprise me God prayer in the morning. The first morning (Thursday) I didn't remember until I made it downstairs for a cup of coffee. But then again, it was 4:30 in the morning! I told Connie to get me up when she got up for work (yes, she gets up at 4:00 am everyday) and so I was still wiping the sandman out of my eyes. So my prayer didn't get asked until I hit the coffee pot. "Surprise me God".

Off I trundled to work to hit the fitness center and then get an early start to the day. No surprises on the treadmill, I still struggled to get to 3 miles!

Friday I did remember my prayer before my feet hit the floor. "Surprise me God." I found myself repeating this simple little mantra several times in the day. It helped me to keep things in focus and remember that there are bigger things than the minute by minute struggles of the work day.

Saturday, with the weather going from soft gentle snow flakes to heavy wet snow to blowing heavy wet snow to bone chilling wind whipping now frozen sharp snow I think my "Surprise me God" prayer took on a bit of sarcasum, like, "Okay, what's next?" God, maybe in His answer to my smart-alecky tone, decided to do just that: the sun popped out! I thanked Him, we smiled, the day goes on. Thanks God. Tom

No comments: