Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My First Surprise, Day 1

When I woke up very early this morning and prayed "Surprise Me, God" I didn't expect anything dramatic on Day 1. I am one who doesn't necessarily like "surprises" so my expectations were not elevated. We had our pastoral care team meeting a 8:30am and staff meeting at 9am. Following the meetings as I walked to my office past Barb B's office she said, "Did you get the email?" "No, what email?" I said. "I'll forward it to you." she said. "It was addressed to both of us."

On Tuesday night Barb and I plus some of our staff and council had lead the New Member Orientation. Sometimes you wonder if it is beneficial for those who come or not. We had a very nice group of folks and all had gone well.

So when the following email was in our email boxes at 9am Wednesday it was a huge Surprise!
-----------------------------------
Subject: Last night's meeting

Good Morning Barb and Pastor,

Last nights meeting was truly a wonderful experience for my husband and I. Thank you for a great introduction to what will now be our home church! I have to tell you that after we got home last night and tucked the kids into bed, my husband and I stayed up until almost 11:30 talking about the "effortless" connection we had especially with Pastor Ostrem, along with the other staff members that we were able to speak directly with. My husband and I agreed that as we sat there and even after the meeting we felt nothing but warmth, openness and compassion from all of your staff and just knew that in some way we were truly guided to all of you!

I have to tell you that it was truly wonderful being called a Christmas present! It's a first and one that I will always remember. It might seem silly but those words honestly instilled my faith even more.. knowing that I was going down the right path for myself and especially for my children. I haven't been apart of a church in many years and being away from it has affected me, it was something that I was truly missing. The best way for me to describe it is, I was simply "craving" it. I decided that becoming a member, being involved and enrolling my children in Sunday school was going to be my New Years resolution. Especially so my children can build, experience and find faith in their own personal way! I thank you for those simple, yet very empowering words. I mean't more to me than you will most likely ever know!
------------------
I read this during the sermon for Ash Wednesday and invited everyone to join the journey of praying the simple three word prayer and then record what God is doing around and with us. I never expected such quick turn around time but God is an amazing God and I am amazed by God's grace and beauty in this day. I have been encourage and looking forward to what God has in store for tomorrow...Keep your eyes open!

Pastor Tedd

No comments: