Saturday, February 9, 2008

On Thursday, my father was admitted to Hospice. During his admittal, we found out he has melanoma skin cancer that has spread through his body. This was shocking news for all of us and we were stunned by how quickly he was detiorating.

I had a hard time finding God's suprise on Thursday. I'm confident he will forgive me for being blind for a day.

Friday I said my prayer again. I snuck in a quick "make it better than yesterday, OK?". Yes, I realize this is NOT what the program is about, but I was feeling a little cynical.

I went to the hospital, expecting the worst. Instead, I found my father sitting up and he smiled when I walked in the door. He can no longer speak, but is communicating periodically with facial expressions: huge eyes when offered ice cream or tapioca pudding; puckered face when offered diced mushrooms; the stink eye when his four children started a fight after it was suggested that someone had cheated during a game of cribbage.

As I left the hospital, I thought about how wonderful it was to see some life in my father today but still felt this immense sadness over the challenge of the coming days. The elevator then stopped on floor three (the baby floor!). A man stepped on and said "We're a big group". Three women, two babies, four children and three teenagers stepped on, every one of them laughing and giggling with joy. One of the boys turned to me and exclaimed "We just had a baby!!!". Everyone laughed with excitement and started chatting.

As I got in the car, I realized my heart felt light. I had been surprised with a great day with my father. I had time with my siblings that I do not normally get. I was reminded that families will stick together through all things, both sadness and joy.

My day was full of great surprises. I can't wait to see what today brings.

Jill Schuerman

No comments: