Thursday, February 14, 2008

Day 9 Valentines-Connections-Parish Nurses

It was a three-fold day and more of surprises. Being aware of God activity in and around me is renewing. I love the spontaneous conversations that are popping up...like: "my Surprise today was..." or was I ever surprised today when...". It just seems contagious. God sightings are there if I have eyes to see...

So I prayed "again" today: Surprise me, God.

I had made arrangements to have flowers and a “Teddy” bear that I chose from our local florist to be ready at 7:30am so I could take it to Lois' room at school and surprise her...well it really surprises the kids more than Lois...but what really surprised me was the reactions. The kids went "O a Bear!" Lois was pleased too...but the other teachers or parents in the hallway said "O flowers"..."Ahhhh" But what really surprised me was my reaction. I like making Lois happy and I know that this would be the case however I was surprised how uncomfortable I was carrying the flowers in the hall and with the reaction of others...I was some how really self conscious and felt awkward. I wonder if… again it was the all about me thing...it derails my relationship with God so many times it must be the same with even myself and Lois. I want to show my joy and love for Lois and “I” kept getting in the way...I guess that is how “I” treat God many times...Sorry God...I know. It's not “all” about me! Thank you for loving me… in spite of me.

A year ago one of our young men died from injuries in a car accident. I had the family on my mind and in prayers so I sent them an email telling them Lois and I were with them. I then headed off to our local high school where our Lindsay taught the last few years of her life. I was to invite the kids from the Connections program that Lindsay had taught in, to apply for the scholarships in her memory. I was surprised again how close the grief is below the surface of our lives but seeing the faces of these kids was a huge lift for me today. I was anxious about being there but the welcome and response was a huge surprise. God wrapped God's arms around me through the teachers, students and administrators I came in contact with this morning. My grief and missing our Lindsay was shared by others but it was also lifted from me as I saw the fruit of their endeavors as educators. I was overwhelmed again...Surprise!...by my gratitude for the teachers of this world. Where would we be without their endless sacrifice and love for our children? Thank you God!

Finally this evening after a quick candlelight dinner at home with "My Valentine" I headed to the seminary to lead a Service of the Word for Healing for the Parish Nurse's in training this week. I am always surprised at how God is working in the nurses of this world of the "hidden church" in our health care facilities. God sightings are all over them as they struggle with the call to Parish Nursing. The mystery of the Call of Christ to "come follow me" is being heard by many and when they come for training it is always surprising.

As this cross section of folks respond like Mary the mother of Jesus..."I am the Lord's servant...Let it be to me according to your will" ...we as a team have the privilege of seeing some powerful God sightings as we anoint and pray over many of these parish nurses in training. It is a Valentine from God to the team who are leading this training for the week… Surprise!


Happy Valentines!
Jesus, keep my eyes and heart open for Your Surprises.
Pastor T

No comments: