Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Traffic Surprise

Posted by Tom Heinrich 2/14
So yesterday I'm headed home, up Winnetka Avenue, and I'm the first one in line to make the right at the light. I guess I must have been thinking really hard about something or whatever, but there I'm sitting, at the light. The guy in the truck behind me starts layin on his horn and giving me the universal "hello". I think I maybe was stopped at the light 4 seconds. This guy is furious. So much anger and energy and temper. He's screaming inside his cab, honest.

I calmly smiled, waved (politely), and rounded the right. I knew I better pull to the side of the road, this guy was coming around quick. Sure enough ~ he spins his tires, continues to honk and waves back at me (not politely) as he speeds past like a thunder bolt. He rushes to drive 200 feet, stops, and waits again to make a left into his apartment building. (I waved again as I pulled past, I just couldn't help myself.)

The God surprise for me? It was how such anger and madness and agression had no effect on my day! In fact, it lightened my day because I had a good laugh! I'm still finding joy in this gentlemen's over-reaction to my denying him 4 seconds of his life at a stoplight.

Finding calmness in a crazy world is a wonderful surprise. Thank you God. Peace ~ Tom

PS, God could you please bring peace to the nice man who lives near 36th and Winetka and drives a black Chevy truck? Thanks!

No comments: