Sunday, February 10, 2008

Surprises in Wisconsin???!

Sam and I went to visit my sister and family in Wisconsin this weekend. It was a short visit... we left on Friday afternoon and are back late Saturday night (or Sunday morning). Sam and I have always enjoyed our times with Kira and Kevin, but we tend to have pretty interesting spiritual and theological discussions. Frustrating for me was the lack of personal faith for them - they believed in Jesus and God and went to church, but their words seemed to come from what they heard from their friends and the church, (who's theology is very different from Lutheran) and not what they had read or thought themselves. Inevitably some of our conversations would get heated, because we didn't agree on some major cultural contention points... but this weekend something new happened. They have really been seeking Christ in new ways. Ways that were surprising them in how much they weren't really following things God was calling them to... like love, no matter who or what. It was SUCH a surprise. We had amazing conversations about what it means to be a follower of Christ, instead of what this guy said or this person told them. It was AMAZING and completely unexpected. Not only was it great to hear them talk about this newly discovered Jesus following, but to WATCH them was even better. They treated each other differently. They had conversations knowing that they didn't have to be right... it was new and wonderful and I left feeling so happy about where God has taken and is taking them. Their renewed energy for really and truly following Jesus was inspiring... I only hope that this surprise of theirs wore off on me just a little.
Thanks G0d - this was a surprise that I didn't even know I was hoping for...

Natalia

No comments: